1.2.09

Days 47 and 48: August 7 and 8

Day 47: August 7th 38,??? miles on the odometer.

Today we pick up the mounted tires. The service guys are pleasant but I’m a bit leery when I spy the old balancing weights on the rear. The guy assures me that it balanced perfectly without moving/removing the old weights. I’m skeptical, but pay my $30 (pretty reasonable) and head back to the house.
The wheels go on a lot quicker than they came off. A good thing as it was drizzling as I worked and it starts pouring just after I finish.
Ceci is antsy to get back on the road, and I start working on a route to northwest Arkansas, where my folks live. I consider going back to the Dragon, but eventually rule it out. I really love that road.


Day 48: August 8th 38,??? miles on the odometer.

On the road again. It is afternoon though before we get rolling. We start off on interstate highway before hitting state and local highways, but none are good rides. Until we get far enough north anyway. Highway 60 is fantastic. It’s not as good as the dragon, but is very good and lightly traveled. The southern end of the road has a lot of tar snakes that cause me some concern, especially since the new tires feel very quick. Like they’re balanced on a fine edge. Ceci is having no problems with them at all though. When the tar snakes finally go away the road is just excellent. I was loathe to put my aching rear on the saddle today, but the smiles are back now and I’m happy to be riding again.
The ride into Tennessee and through the Tennessee River Valley is just as good and plenty scenic. Traffic is starting to get thicker though. We stop a quite few times to take pictures.
We finish the day back on interstate and stay at an overpriced Super 8 in Chatanooga. Because I haven’t been writing the mileage numbers down, I can only guess we covered about 300 miles today. Ceci is excited that we are back to business as usual. I am enjoying the better roads, but feeling worn and weary when we drone along on the interstates and boring roads. I may be reaching my limit.
On a positive note, there were no issues with either of our bikes today. My skepticism about the rear wheel balancing proves unfounded. If anything, my bike seems to be riding smoother than it did before. Maybe my wife should have gotten me one of those gremlin bells a lot earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment