1.2.09

Day 50 and beyond...

Day 50 and beyond, mileage no longer relevant.

My dad borrows a trailer and comes all the way out to Hayti to pick us up. 300 miles added to our trip but not our odometers. We spend a week visiting my family and consider buying Ceci a new bike for the ride home. Eventually we decide instead to load the bikes into a Budget truck and we finish the next 550 miles in that.
I’ll not do that again, Budget was significantly cheaper than U-Haul but the truck is terrible. We actually took the first one back and got another. I think my Bandit was a more comfortable ride.
A few months and e-bay parts later I am able to repair the Vulcan. The Bandit would shortly thereafter require significant work to fix what Bubba did not. Instead I eventually purchase a new bike to replace it. The next summer her Vulcan would leave us stranded again when the stator goes bad. This requires pulling the engine to repair, so this time we buy her a Harley to finish that trip.
It was a sad ending to our epic trip, but still worth it. The first 10,000 + miles were a fantastic once in a lifetime trip. Unless of course, we try it again. There are still some states we haven’t hit, and Alaska is beckoning. I’ll keep you posted, but she won’t be on the Vulcan…

No comments:

Post a Comment