1.2.09

Day 40: July 31

Day 40: July 31st 37,695 on the odometer

We are up in time for breakfast at Hardee’s, but don’t spend any time sightseeing in Cherokee. I think our time will be better spent in the national park, and today is the day we will ride the “Dragon” we kept hearing about. I also hope to reach her brother’s house in Augusta, Georgia before nightfall.
The clouds are building as we hit the road, and it is an absolute downpour when we get into the park. It stays that way most of the way through the park, so we don’t make a lot of stops. Towards the end of the park we stop at a visitor center and I exercise my free speech rights at what is posted as the only place in the park where that is allowed. I keep my comments to a brief “Elect me president!” At least the rain has finally subsided and the sun is coming out.
Good thing too as the roads here are marvelous. We head down the Foothills Parkway which is curvy and nice enough to be entertaining and keeps me from complaining about how wet I am. The rain has played havoc with the communicators; Ceci can hear what I’m saying, but I can’t hear a thing she’s saying. No amount of drying out will fix them now, that damage is permanent. At least I can warn of things to come. And what wonderful things are to come.
We spot two cops shortly after turning onto HW129 – The Dragon. At first I am disappointed by the apparently strictly enforced low speed limit and less than challenging overhyped road. Then Nirvana. Oh My God. Up. Down. Hard Left. Hard Right. Esses. Switchbacks. Decreasing and Increasing Radius. Mostly Positive Camber. Wow. 318 turns in 11 miles. The hype is real and I’m loving every second of it. This is why I ride a motorcycle. This is better than sex. Up to now I have been on a trip, today I take a ride. My Avons stick like glue on the mostly dried out pavement. The chicken strips are gone; first time I’ve ever done that. Ceci can’t keep up but neither of us cares. As I ride I find myself ignorantly wishing I had a better bike that isn’t so overloaded to fully appreciate this. Then I wish I had better riding skills so I could really fully appreciate this. The Tail of The Dragon is by far the best motorcycle road I have ever ridden. I am smiling from ear to ear, no longer sure that the soaking wetness in my pants is entirely from this morning’s rain.
We stop at Deal’s Gap to refuel the bikes and savor the moment. Then we head out on 28. The adrenaline is still pumping, I feel like superman. The roads are still fantastic. A couple of sport bikes pass me and I instinctively grab some throttle wanting to keep up. A burning sensation on my ring finger slows me back down so my better half can catch up. Still we are moving pretty good. We drive past a lake with a nice positive camber climbing right turn in the road. I whack the throttle to enjoy it. Then I see the sand. Crap. The whole center of the turn. At this point I can’t miss it. I yell “sand” into the chatterbox. Ceci can tell from the rising pitch of my voice I’m about to have an experience. I lift myself up pushing as hard as I can on the pegs. The bike starts its sideways slide as the tires slip across the sand trap I just stupidly entered way too hot. I’m pretty sure I can ride this out until I see the Cadillac Escalade coming the other way that has decided he needs half of my lane to make the turn. Looks like I’m going to pancake into the side of him. This is gonna hurt. Damn. Wait a minute there’s some traction. A little wiggle. Get me outta here. Whew! Ceci, well warned, makes it through with no drama at all whatsoever. My adrenaline is pumping harder now, but I’m no longer Superman. Pretty good kryptonite right there. We stop and get pictures at Bridal Veil Falls; very scenic as you can get in behind the falling water.
On to Augusta. The roads are enjoyable but slow. As they straighten out, the pavement worsens. We are not making good time. There is no way we will make it to Keith’s house before dark so when the sunlight ends we stop in McCormick and stay in a very cheap dump of a motel. I don’t care, this is the best day of riding I have ever had. Only 288 miles but a high you can’t kill. I wish every day could be like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment