20.7.08

Day 29- July 20

Day 29: July 20th 35,804 miles on the odometer

The rain arrives just as we head out. It is a constant soaking rain. I remember to close the vents on my jacket, but it does not matter. My riding gear is no longer up to the task and I am wet from neck to toe for the entire day. The communicators are acting up again, as is my Bandit. It dies twice when I can’t keep the revs up high enough for 2 cylinders to keep it going. Both times it is reluctant to re-start. The second time I have to pull off the road and wait for the rain to end. We waste almost an hour at a closed car dealership while waiting for my electronics to dry out enough to start.
At least the roads and scenery improve as we get to Pennsylvania and get off the interstate. On tap for today is Pennsylvania’s famed route 666, rated by many as the worst road in America. Often that is a good thing, and there were a couple of good reviews from other motorcyclists on the internet.
Damn the internet. Route 666 may be the worst road in America, so long as you’re willing to use the term road loosely. It is more accurately a contiguous stretch of patched and un-patched potholes. The scenery is supposed to be nice but I don’t notice. All my attention is focused on finding a safe place to put my tires. The going is slow and rough. The constant battering actually snaps the taillight off of the Vulcan’s rear fender. Fortunately, it doesn’t fall off the bike and I am able to put it back on with the glue I’ve been using to keep the soles on my boot, plus a bunjee cord to keep it in place. We don’t see a single bike other than our own here.
Route 62 gets much better and route 6 is actually really good. Nothing technical, but lots of smooth pavement, great scenery, and nice turns and sweepers. While shopping in Ohio I picked up some Airplus gel insoles for women’s shoes. It is the kind meant just for the balls of her feet and they fit nicely in my gloves. My hands no longer go numb when I’m riding. It doesn’t get rid of the annoying vibes and discomfort completely, but it is a big help. If only they made one that fit my seat. I may have to buy a couple more and stick them on my butt cheeks.
As much as I am enjoying the ride after 666 in Pennsylvania, Ceci is having a tougher time of it. She gets the rear tire loose on one damp turn and almost wipes out. I don’t see it in my mirror, but she assures me it got her heart pumping. Shortly after that she has a near collision. No harm so no foul, and the close calls should keep her focused on her riding.
We stop for the night at the Colton Point Motel. It is a very scenic place with a wonderful view of mountains and forest. Ceci is also enjoying the scenery, and we add this to our list of places worth relocating to. The motel is an older motel, but I like it. Especially since it gives me a place to change into dry clothes. Fortunately my luggage is still water tight.
Due to the rain and route 666, we manage only 260 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment